We will be wearing green at VWM on Friday the 17th and wanted to share some trivia about this Irish holiday with you!
- In Chicago every year, the Plumbers Local 110 union dyes the river “Kelly” green. The dye lasts for about five hours. It has been doing this since 1962.
- Guinness sales soar on St. Patrick’s Day. Recent figures show that 5.5 million pints of the black stuff are downed around the world every day. On St. Patrick’s Day that figure is doubled.
- The odds on finding a four leaf clover are 1 in 10,000.
- More than 100 St. Patrick’s Day parades are held every year in the United States. The biggest celebrations are in New York City and Boston. New York’s parade first ook place in the 1760’s.
- The world’s shortest St. Patrick’s Day parade is in Dripsey, Cork. The parade lasts just 100 yards and travels between the village’s two pubs.
- The average amount American St. Patrick’s Day revelers will spend this holiday is $36.52 per person, totaling a combined $4.6 billion, according to a report by the National Retail Federation